News August 2017
Many thanks to all of you who completed our recent survey about the proposed Adani mine in Queensland. The results were remarkable.
1. Lyne Electorate: Climate Change Australia combined with the Mid North Coast Stop Adani campaign and the Mid Coast Knitting Nannas to generate the survey for Lyne Electorate and we collated our collective results.
Of the responses we received:
- 100% oppose a $1 billion loan of public money for Adani's proposed coal mine
- 98% oppose the building of the Adani coal mine altogether
- 98% want Lyne MP, Dr. David Gillespie, to take a stand to stop Adani's proposed coalmine
- 100% agree that it's time to make the transition to renewable energy
30 people rallied in front of Dr Gillespie's office in Taree last week to present the findings. Here are a couple of snaps from the day:
2. Cowper Electorate: Climate Change Australia combined with the Coffs Coast Climate Action Group to generate the survey for Cowper Electorate and we collated all of our results.
The responses from Cowper were similar to Lyne:
- 94% oppose a $1 billion loan of public money for Adani's proposed coal mine
- 94% oppose the building of the Adani coal mine altogether
- 91% want Cowper MP, Luke Hartsuyker, to take a stand to stop Adani's proposed coalmine
- 94% agree that it's time to make the transition to renewable energy
There will be a rally in Port Macquarie on Friday 25th August to present the Cowper results - more information to come in future emails.
CCA Networking evening:
You are all invited to our next networking evening:
- When: 5:30pm, Thursday 17th August
- Where: CWA room, Horton St Port Macquarie
- What: Hear Susie Russell discuss the links between carbon emissions, land clearing and logging in our region.
- Who: Everyone is welcome - feel free to bring your family & friends along to listen to Susie.
- Gold coin donation at the door, please, to cover the cost of hiring the room. Thanks.
CCA T-Shirts for Sale:
CCA have printed a range of T-shirts with our logo. We are selling them for $25 each. Cash or cheque only – sorry, we do not have credit card facilities.
There is only one design/colour combination, in three different styles (see photos below):
- classic short sleeved: sizes XL and XXL available- long-sleeved: size XL only available
- women's fitted: size M or L available, but we only have a few
Liddell coal plant to be replaced by solar, wind, storage:
AGL says solar, wind, storage and other smart technology are cheaper than new coal, or even extending the life of existing coal plants. Read more at RenewEconomy: http://reneweconomy.com.au/liddell-coal-plant-to-be-replaced-by-solar-wind-storage-64157/#undefined.gbpl
Australian soil carbon scheme a world-first:
Farmers in Victoria and South Australia are taking part in a world-first carbon capture scheme to generate a new source of income. Read more at the ABC: http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-08-11/carbon-farmers-criticise-government/8796256